Just read this great article in the Globe and Mail - that talks about how even though we may not be large corporations like Sony, Citigroup or the FBI we are all susceptible to hackers online. Part of the issue is that hackers come in different forms and are often sight unseen so it is very hard to spot a hacker.
A hacker could attach a key logging software to something as innocent as a downloadable children’s game and this helps them track the information the user types and also collect user names and passwords. Since our entire lives now seem to be on the Internet we cannot stop using it and neither are we immune to these hackers so here are some tips.
- Limit information posted on social networking sites such as FB, twitter and even programs like Foursquare. The only people who care where you are every minute of the day are predators, hackers and thieves!
- Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date and constantly updating. Word to the wise porn websites and some video downloading websites are LOADED with viruses!
- Make sure you uses different passwords for any internet usage and be sure to change them regularly. If you ar elike me and cannot remember more that 3 there are free Password managers out there such as LastPass that will help you generate and remember random passwords.
- As mentioned in a previous post - Do Not Click on pop ups or Internet offers that offer you the latest products on the market. These are usually scams and simply a way for hackers and predators to collect information about potential victims.
- Some experts even suggest that you donn’t click on links within emails no matter who the person who sent it to you is.
- If possible do not use the same computer to pay bills online as well as play computer games or download videos. Part of the problem is that hackers use these innocuous ways to get their software onto your system to track you.
Even with all these safeguards in place there use your common sense online and trust your instincts. Everything on the internet is not true and people need to be aware that there are predators online patiently waiting for their potential victims to play into their hands.
Be careful and safe.